view cancellation policy
Culture shock rating:
Street Food for ThoughtGeneral Info | Photo Gallery | Traveller Feedback
Combine street food and brain food on this Philadelphia tour that takes in the hallowed halls of academia, the glory of the grand terminal, the worship of college sports, and the fun of food trucking!
- Experience the best of Philly’s street food in the city’s University City neighborhood
- Get to know two of Philly’s major universities through their unique, eclectic, and tasty food trucks
- Discover Drexel University’s historic architecture with a local to tell you all about it
- Visit the University of Pennsylvania’s iconic sports venues, impressive libraries, and picturesque campus
Tour style:Walking & Orientation, History, Food, Culture & Heritage
Local English speaking guide, food from three food trucks, trolley token.
Additional food and drink beyond what is included, items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities for your guide.
Group size:Maximum 12
- Duration: 2.5 Hours
- Meeting point:
Inside 30th Street Station, near the center of the station next to the WWII Memorial.
- Starting time: 11.00 AM
- Ending point:
40th St. Trolley Station - The traveler will be able to ride the trolley (token provided) back to 30th St. or continue into Center City.
Additional information :
- Voucher exchange details:
Please present your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the tour.
- Confirmation of booking:
If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We'll see you at the start point.
Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Child policy:
This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour. Children younger than 6 are permitted at no extra cost, but please make sure you inform our guides of this before you take the tour.
- Language: English
Feed your mind as well as your belly on this Philadelphia city tour that bypasses the usual Philadelphia tourist spots and sends you back to school on the university campuses. Don't worry, there won't be an exam at the end - there'll be food trucks instead!
Your Philadelphia tour begins at Philadelphia's largest transportation hub, 30th St. Station. You'll get a glimpse of the fine architecture inside the grand terminal, and be in the midst of the busy intersection of trains, buses, subways, and trolleys. We leave the station on foot and begin the journey down Market Street and the neighborhood's research core.
Before we make it very far, we’ll stop for a taste of the Caribbean or we'll keep it local, at our first group of food trucks. It’s a bit of a hidden gem here, and you’ll be amazed at the quantity and quality of food being produced here.
Just down the road we'll reach Drexel University, where we'll head down one of their new green quads and into the beautiful Main Building, the very first building on Drexel's campus. You'll meander down the hill past World Cafe Live and underneath the highline as trains are passing high above (don't panic, that's not quite as scary as it sounds!).
From here on this Philadelphia tour we enter Penn Park, a brand new green space with spectacular views of the Philly skyline. After soaking up this incredible panorama, your tour continues over the train tracks and passes by some of the most iconic college sports venues in the country - Franklin Field and the Palestra. Sports fans, this is the real deal and you won't want to miss it! If you’re lucky, you may even have the chance to see inside the famous Palestra and their wonderful college basketball museum.
We’ll reach our second group of food trucks just in front of Franklin Field, and the variety here is pretty impressive. You’ll also get to experience this chaotic and wonderful food scene during the heart of lunch – a truly local experience!
From there we head to the heart of Penn's campus, the very first public university in the United States. We'll take you inside Fisher Library, an architectural masterpiece by Frank Furness. We'll walk by College Hall, Penn's first building on the campus, and go inside Houston Hall, home of America's first Student Union. From there we walk up Locust Walk, arguably the most beautiful city campus setting in the country. We all know that Philadelphia is a city rich in US history, but with a local to guide you through these historical campuses you get a behind the scenes look into what college may have been like over 100 years ago.
From there, we end up on Spruce Street, where there are dozens of food trucks all in a row. Here, you’ll be treated to something sweet at our final food truck spot of the tour. This is one of the best spots for food trucks in Philly, and in our opinion, a Philadelphia food tour wouldn't be complete without stopping here!
Finally, we walk through more of the campus and and if time allows a hidden nature preserve and pond. When we arrive at the trolley stop, your guide will provide a token for each person, which is valid for a ride on the trolley. This street trolley ride is a unique experience and you'll definitely feel like a Philadelphia local once you've taken a trip on it! From this point, you'll have the option to ride back to 30th St. or continue into the city center. If you want some tips on more things to do in Philadelphia that day, just ask your local guide!
Want to check out what other travellers think of their Urban Adventure experience? See below for our traveller feedback.
For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides a tip - though not compulsory - is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Intrepid Urban Adventures destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- Cancellations made more than 2 days prior to travel receive a full refund
- Cancellations made 2 days or less prior to travel attract a 100% cancellation fee.
The Philadelphia Urban Adventures team is a knowledgeable and energetic group, dedicated to making sure that our urban travelers get the most out of their Philly experience. We come from a variety of backgrounds and parts of the world, with shared passions for travel, local culture, history, food, music, art and architecture. And above all we want you to leave Philadelphia with a love for the City that you will share with others when you get home!
Meet the crew in Philadelphia!
Feels like: -8°C
Sign up now and get $10 off your next tour!
At Urban Adventures, we firmly believe local travel is one of the best ways we can support responsible tourism. In fact, we believe it so strongly that we’ve made it our entire business! All our tours are run by local experts, not some faceless corporate team located halfway around the world with no sense of the local vibe.
We craft our tours to ensure every traveller has authentic interactions with local people, businesses, transportation, and food and drink. Local travel gives you the opportunity to experience a destination as locals do, and has the potential to impact you in ways you never imagined. In short: local is awesome.
As a responsible travel company, we promise to:
- Use locally owned infrastructure on our tours whenever possible.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe tours for Urban Adventure partners, staff, and travellers.
- Educate travellers and our partners about how and why we choose to travel this way.
- Limit any negative impact to the daily lifestyles of local people.
- Limit any physical impact on natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities.
- Provide opportunities for travellers to interact with local people.
- Actively ban partners, staff, and passenger participation in or endorsement of commercial sexual activities or illegal drug use on Urban Adventures tours.
- Work to prevent the exploitation of children in tourism.
- Actively discourage participation in activities that exploit animals.
- Use local partners that adhere to Urban Adventures' responsible travel principles.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our travellers the best possible value.
- Have fun!
As a traveller, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
- People: Be mindful of the local citizens, and seek understanding through shared experiences. Consider their customs and values while in their homeland, and when in doubt, ask your guide for advice.
- Environment: Be mindful of the local environment, and act with conservation and sustainability in mind. Follow local guidelines, as recommended by your guide, and make proactive decisions on your own.
- Culture: When travelling to other cultures, remember that not everyone's customs are the same as yours at home. Be respectful, and be mindful of openly questioning a customary practice, even if you disagree with it. Try to understand from their perspective. You may learn something! Your guide will be an excellent point of reference here, so check with them if you're unsure.
- Economy: Make every effort to use local businesses and put your tourism dollars in the right (local) pocket. We use local vendors and businesses, and your guide will be able to advise you on the best ways to support the local economy.