South Philly Art Tour
There’s so much more to Philadelphia than American history - some of the most incredible public art is on display when you venture into South Philly! On this tour, you’ll head into the heart of the Queen Village and Bella Vista neighborhoods to explore beautiful and surprising pieces of public art, including breathtaking murals and mind-bending mosaics. Your guide will explain the history of each piece and how they blend together into a magical tapestry that drapes across the entire city. You’ll come to appreciate how public art and creators are intertwined and appreciated by the neighborhoods that they call home, and how amazingly accessible art is throughout a major city like Philadelphia. After exploring the street art and a gallery or two, your tour concludes at the incredible Magic Gardens - one of the most impressive and fantastical works of art and sculpture you’ll ever see! Part of your ticket price also includes a donation to a local organization supporting artists in the city, so you’ll be directly impacting the incredible community highlighted on this tour.
South Philly Walking Tour Highlights
- Discover the vibrant and fantastical murals and mosaics in Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens, displaying art and sculpture by the legendary Isaiah Zagar.
- Stroll through Queen Village and Bella Vista, the city’s original suburbs and now a bustling part of South Philly,
- Gain an appreciation for the impact public art has had on Philly’s neighborhoods and how accessible it is for its residents – you’re surrounded by creativity!
- Learn some of the fascinating history of the pieces you’ll see and the inspiration and influences that lead artists to create them.
- Chat with a leader at a local art non-profit to learn about their mission as you tour a contemporary gallery; a donation to the organization is also included in your tour ticket.
Inclusions: Local, English-speaking guide, admission to the Philadelphia Magic Gardens, and a donation to a local community art organization.
Exclusions: Additional food and drink, souvenirs, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 2 hours
- Starting time: 2:00pm
- Availability: Wed – Sun (closed Mon & Tues)
- Meeting point: Theatre of the Living Arts, South Street